What cocktail trends will you be sampling in 2012? Check out the hottest trends as selected by bartenders, mixologists, spirits experts and more. And think about whether you'd like to belly up to a bar to enjoy a barrel-aged cocktail, cocktail popsicle, a new cocktail made from rum, Kentucky bourbon, pisco? Or perhaps you'll be sipping housemade bitters prepared by a bartender on an exchange program. Whatever your preferences,if you're looking for place to try any of these trends, check out this guide to the best cocktail bars in the United States.
Trend: "Abstract", Seasonal Fruits and Vegtables
--Cocktail Trend Spotter: Gregory Nasser, Mixologist, Grand Café, San Francisco.
Trend: Spirits on the Rocks
--Cocktail Trendspotter: Gary Hayward, Brand Ambassador, Bombay Sapphire
Trend: The Depths of Rum
--Cocktail Trendspotter: Monica Schafer, Restaurant General Manager, FIVE Bistro and Bar, Berkeley, CA.
Trend: Cocktail Popsicles
Hot in 2011:
- Cocktail popsicles (both alcoholic and non-alcoholic),
- Moonshine, white whiskey and daiquiris (not the frozen sweet ones)
- Aged rum
--Cocktail Trendspotter: Carlos Yturria, bartender at Absinthe Brasserie & Bar, San Francisco.
Trend: Bartender Exchange Programs
- Expect to see more bartenders/mixologists opening their own bars.
- Buzz around tequila, rum and pisco.
- Bartenders exchange programs: (example: a bartender from Singapore goes to a London bar for a month to learn local techniques etc...)